Friday, April 29, 2016

Audiobook Review: Loving a Lost Lord by Mary Jo Putney

Series:  Lost Lords #1
Pub. Date:  July 1, 2009
Publisher:  Blackstone Audio / Zebra
Narrator:  Kate Rawson
Length:  10 hrs 50 min
Format:  Audiobook
Source:  Hoopla


The Lost Lords series follows a band of brothers-by-circumstance on their journey to find the perfect companion, starting with a unique hero who doesn't quite fit in and a capable, yet desperate, heroine.

Mariah Clarke is the daughter of a scoundrel, a man who pays their way by gambling at the card table. Mariah has been dragged around by her father her whole life, and never really had anything of her own besides a few hand-me-down dresses from society ladies that took pity on her. When her father wins an estate, she finally has a respectable home, but there is a complication that has Mariah seeking a savior. When an amnesiac Adam washes up on her shore, he may just be the answer to her prayers. I am not a big fan of deception in books, so I can't say that I was a huge fan of Mariah's character at first. I kept hoping she would reveal things to Adam because it felt like she was taking advantage of him. Once Adam's identity is revealed, I liked Mariah much more. Her position in life made her grateful for what she had, and I liked that she was so down-to-earth and relatable.

I love a story with a unique hero, and Adam Lawford, the half-Hindu Duke of Ashton, certainly fits the bill. Ash has never fit in with society, as the snobs of the Ton don't like that a halfbreed has taken one of their noble titles. Because of the effrontery, Adam strives to be the most correct duke he can be outwardly, and suppresses all his Hindu culture and beliefs. I really enjoyed the details regarding Hinduism, the temple and meditation garden especially. It was easy to be in Adam's corner against all the snotty society folks, and I hated that he had to hide parts of his essential self.

There was a bit of a mystery to unravel dealing with how Adam was injured, and whether his life may be in danger. The Lost Lords worked together to find Adam and then solve the mystery, and I enjoyed the interplay between all their characters. I liked who Putney chose to be the villain and driving force behind Adam's misfortune.

A lot happened in this book, particularly with respect to our H/h's family situations, and I don't know that all were necessary for the story. Having
was a bit too coincidental. It certainly didn't detract from the story, but just made me pause and think: "Really? That's just one too many problems solved by convenience."

I am looking forward to the rest of the series, and can't wait to see what lucky women find themselves a Lost Lord. 

Lost Lords Series


No comments:

Post a Comment