Sunday, April 12, 2015

Review: Unbound - Colours of Love by Kathryn Taylor

Unbound - Colours of Love by Kathryn Taylor
Series: Colours of Love, #1
Publisher: Bastei Entertainment
Pub Date: April 13, 2015

My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


Grace is young and has led a sheltered life. She hasn't yet taken much of an interest in men. It's only while doing an internship in London, where she meets the alluring Jonathan Huntington, that our sleeping beauty is awoken from her slumber. Jonathan is rich, incredibly attractive, and stems from British royalty - but he is a far cry from Prince Charming. He lures Grace ever deeper into his world of sinister passion, and she is sucked further and further into the maelstrom of her own growing desires. But when Jonathan demands she do the unthinkable to prove her love for him, she realizes just how dangerous her feelings for him are. 

Kathryn Taylor has been a writer since childhood - publishing her first story when she was eleven years old. From then on, she knew that she wanted to be a professional author one day. After a few career detours and a happy ending in her personal life, her dream has finally come true: UNBOUND - COLOURS OF LOVE is her first novel.


This is one of those books that I liked, but I don't really have much to say about it. It's the story of a young intern who meets and falls in love with the unattainable uber-rich CEO of a huge investment firm. The whole time I was reading it, I couldn't stop thinking "this would never happen in real life" or "this is so unrealistic."  I know these books are all about the fantasy, but I guess I was hoping for a little more realism than what I got. Other than that, this was a decent start to the series and I will continue reading the other books once they have been translated.

I think I will like Jonathan once his character has been developed more. I don't really dislike anything so far at least. And Taylor did a good job at paving a path for him to either become someone you love, or someone you hate.  It will depend if he can get over his phobia of commitment.  I am not a huge fan of Grace though - she is a bit too naive for me and I didn't feel like she was a good match for Jonathan. I prefer a bit older character like Eva (Crossfire), instead of the young virginal Anna (50 Shades). The naive ones tend to get on my nerves a little more.  I want someone more complex or sophisticated.  

This book was recommended for Crossfire and 50 Shades fans, but there is not a whole lot of kink (yet). Yes, there is a mysterious club... but you're not getting anymore more in this book that some light voyeurism. The writing was well done for this to be a first book. I do hope the next book is translated soon, because there was a bit of a cliffhanger. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment