Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Review: Elysian Fields by Suzanne Johnson

Elysian Fields by Suzanne Johnson
Series:  Sentinels of New Orleans, #3

My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


An undead serial killer comes for DJ in this thrilling third installment of Suzanne Johnson’s Sentinels of New Orleans series


The mer feud has been settled, but life in South Louisiana still has more twists and turns than the muddy Mississippi. 

New Orleanians are under attack from a copycat killer mimicking the crimes of a 1918 serial murderer known as the Axeman of New Orleans. Thanks to a tip from the undead pirate Jean Lafitte, DJ Jaco knows the attacks aren’t random—an unknown necromancer has resurrected the original Axeman of New Orleans, and his ultimate target is a certain blonde wizard. Namely, DJ.

Combatting an undead serial killer as troubles pile up around her isn’t easy. Jake Warin’s loup-garou nature is spiraling downward, enigmatic neighbor Quince Randolph is acting weirder than ever, the Elders are insisting on lessons in elven magic from the world’s most annoying wizard, and former partner Alex Warin just turned up on DJ’s to-do list. Not to mention big maneuvers are afoot in the halls of preternatural power.

Suddenly, moving to the Beyond as Jean Lafitte’s pirate wench could be DJ’s best option.


This third installment of the Sentinels of New Orleans series picks up 3 weeks after River Road left off... much more acceptable than the 3 year time span that we had between Royal Street and River Road. This book is more about political drama than the previous two pieces, which surrounded natural disasters. Johnson's plot, character development, and world-building between New Orleans and Old Orleans continues to dazzle me. I can't believe I only discovered these books - I am definitely sharing the word with all my friends so they don't miss out.

A serial killer from the past is after our favorite green wizard, and Drusilla and friends must stop him before he catches her unaware. Drusilla is a leading lady that you can root for - she's strong, quirky, and creative with her magic use. I love that everyone underestimates her but she thinks on her feet and comes out on top. The love triangle is still going in the beginning, but that starts to taper off by the end of this book and I'm glad for it. The love triangle was the only aspect of the series that I did not like.

We have our same group of characters in this book, including love interests Alex and Jake. Plus my very favorite character, debonair undead privateer, Jean Lafitte. What I wouldn't give to go live on Old Barataria with him! We also have some new characters being introduced - the elves! So we finally learn more about DJ's elvish roots. Unfortunately, the elves don't seem overly enthusiastic about the family connection. Drama ensues.

As in previous books, the action does not disappoint. Between the murder, political intrigue, and relationship drama, there is enough mayhem to keep the book fast-paced. This has quickly become one of my favorite series, which is surprising to me because I usually like a little more sexytime in my reads. That just goes to show that if the writing is good enough, the sex can be superfluous. Lucky for me I don't have to wait on the next installment, because I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Pirate's Alley!

View all my reviews

Sentinels of New Orleans Series:

My ReviewMy ReviewMy ReviewMy Review

No comments:

Post a Comment