Sunday, April 5, 2015

Review: Devil You Know by Max Henry

Devil You Know by Max Henry
Series: The Butcher Boys, #1

My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:

Love.

How do you define it? I guess it’s up to the individual. Love can be a sweet gesture of flowers on your anniversary. Love can be a meal waiting at home after a long day at work. Love can be a gentle caress. Or the unspoken words in your lover’s eyes.

Love isn’t a backhand, given because of a warm beer. Love isn’t wearing long-sleeves to hide bruises from the ladies at the supermarket.

I thought I’d never experience love. Such emotion didn’t seem to fit with what I had—who I was.

But he stepped in, and showed me his.

He pulled me from the dark abyss I had lost myself to, and showed me the simple things which could bring such joy. Sun on my face. The smell of fresh coffee. Colours in the autumn leaves. All the little things.

He shows me these things, but he doesn’t share in them. He knows happiness, but he doesn’t feel it. He will give love, but never accept it.

He saved me. Now it’s my turn to return the favour …
 

So this book reminds me of the types of guys I tend to date. I got sucked in by the super hot cover, only to realize that I had unrealistic expectations. Sigh. Story of my life.

There was great potential here, the blurb was good and the start of the book got me hooked. But it kinda fizzled from there and just turned "meh." I would have liked more emotions, steamier sex, more explosive drama. I look forward to Vince' story in the next book... and I'm a little surprised he's next instead of Bronx or Ty.

A note on the formatting, I really like that the author used an eye-catching font and some color in the chapter introductions. Now that we are in the world of ebooks, it's much easier to make the written word visually appealing, and I wish more authors would do so.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment