Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Review: Payback's a Witch




































My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Buy on Amazon

Emmy Harlow was chased out of her magical town of Thistle Grove by heartache. She had to sacrifice family, friends, and magical ability in a desperate attempt to escape her pain and find herself. Now she must return to fulfill a family duty, as arbiter of traditional witchy games.

Emily is a sexually fluid heroine, which I wasn't expecting, but fit in well as a Pride Month read. I think we could all identify with her heartache from Gareth, and her attraction to Talia was electric. The women-scorned aspect made for a good story angle, along with the power imbalance of the Blackmoores vs. the other founding families. Unfortunately, I just couldn't forge a connection with Emmy. I think I was more drawn to Talia and her talents, and I would've loved to have some of the story from her POV. The only time I got drawn into Emmy's plight was during a heartfelt conversation with her mother, and I wish there could've been more of that connection throughout the story.

I really like the concept of Thistle Grove and the founding families, but I'm a sucker for magical tales and abilities. Now that the games are over and a winner has been crowned, I'm interested to see what changes are in store for this small town. Can Gareth be redeemed? Will Linden and Rowan find their own happiness, and with who? And will the Harlows start being respected for their contributions to magic? Lots of questions that can be answered!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment