Friday, June 1, 2018

Audiobook Review: Half-Blood Dragon by K.N. Lee

Series:     Dragon Born #1
Pub. Date: April 24, 2018
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrator:Mary Sarah
Length:3 hrs 35 min
Source:Publisher

Pirates and dragons and mermaids, oh my! How could I resist such a fantastic tale? This was my first read by K.N. Lee, and I like where she is going with the premise of this series.

Our heroine, Rowan, is a half-blood dragon. Not enough dragon blood to have scales or transform, but enough to have some strength and magical ability. Though I was confused on whether the magical ability came from her human side or her dragon side - that was a bit murky. As a half-blood, our heroine feels the sting of prejudice from everyone around her, and people easily believe the worst when she is accused of killing the crown prince.   

This is a short story, about novella length (200 pgs, 3.5 hours) and while I really liked the premise and features of the fantastical world, I was left wanting when it came to detail. Our story moved along at a fast clip only hitting plot highlights without the rich detail that really brings a fantasy to life. I wanted more character development and more world building. I wanted to understand people's motivations and know some of their inner thoughts. I did like the major points of the story that we hit, I just wanted more.

The story is still being told, almost like this is a serial. So expect to feel like we stopped in the middle, and we will pick up in the next book to see what happens next with Rowan, the pirate, and the royal family.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this audiobook that I received from the publisher, Tantor Audio.


Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment