Wednesday, June 13, 2018

ARC Review: Venom in the Veins by Jennifer Estep

Series:Elemental Assassin #17
Pub. Date:June 12, 2018
Publisher:Self-Pub
Length:267 pgs
Source:Author

Venom in the Veins is the 17th installment of Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series. This is a series that triggers my grabby hands when a new book is coming out - I just can't wait to set my eyes on the next installment. But I'm warning you - don't read these if you are trying to diet! There is enough discussion of delicious southern comfort food to make your mouth water and having you running out to your local BBQ joint. 

Our heroine, Gin Blanco a/k/a The Spider, is continuing to investigate the mysterious Circle, and its shrouded members. But when one of our favorite bankers, and Finn's boss, Stuart Mosley, appears to be the target of a nefarious plot, you know that Gin will step in and do what she does best. And of course the movers and shakers around town, if they aren't bowing and scraping to the Queen of the Underworld, having to be working against her with the bigger badder nemesis.

I liked the layout of this story. Our villain wasn't quite coming after Gin, so she intercedes on behalf of those she considers her family. For an assassin, Gin has a huge heart and has now adopted quite a lot of people as "hers" - those you don't mess with on pain of death. As this series has progressed, we have learned more about Stuart Mosley and his friendship with Fletcher, Gin's mentor and father figure. And with this story, we see that no good deed goes unpunished where Stuart is concerned. The villain here, and her reasons for the plot, were quite immature and selfish... so she was really easy to hate.

I continue to enjoy the vast array of secondary characters that Gin has brought into the fold. Finn will always be a favorite, but the Deveraux sisters and Owen are very high up on that list. I love the banter between Finn and Gin, and we get several humorous moments, like this:
"If you start admiring your reflection in that, I'm going to take that knife away and cut you with it," I warned. "Knives are for eating. Or stabbing people. Nothing else."
After Gin takes care of business, as in previous books, we get some insight into what will be happening next. And man are these revelations bombshells! I am so excited for the next installment, but also sad when I think we may be approaching the end of the series at some point. I hope not. This is one of my favorites.


Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment