Friday, June 8, 2018

Audiobook Review: Barbarian Mine by Ruby Dixon

Series:     Ice Planet Barbarians #4
Pub. Date: April 24, 2018
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrators:Mason Lloyd
Hollie Jackson
Length:5 hrs 36 min
Source:Publisher

Barbarian Mine is the fourth book in the Ice Planet Barbarians series, and takes place somewhat consecutively with the last book, Barbarian Lover. While we have previously met our heroine, Harlow, our hero is a new and unexpected addition to the series. This series has a fairly linear and chronological storyline, so I recommend that you read the books in order. 

If you recall from Barbarian Lover, our flame-haired and freckled Harlow was bonked over the head while she was out trying to piece together a travoy for one of the wounded aliens. We didn't hear from her the rest of the story. Though when she realizes that she has been abducted by an unknown big blue guy, Harlow takes everything in stride and doesn't get overly freaked out. That may have something to do with the constant purring in her chest that tells her she and the totally naked alien will be compatible... in all ways. I liked Harlow quite a bit. She was patient and understanding with our hero, and was able to teach him quite a few things to make survival more pleasant.
Our hero, Ruk, is somewhat of a tragic character. He has been alone for a very long time, and its really a miracle that he was able to survive. I loved his gentle caveman vibe, and I felt bad for his lonely existence. I can't imagine the isolation he felt, and the fortitude he had to show to survive on the ice planet. I loved listening to Ruk and Harlow learn to communicate and make a home for themselves. Watching the virginal hero be introduced to love, life and sex was both funny and sweet.

Our humans are rapidly reproducing with the aliens, or at least trying to. With the average alien pregnancy lasting 3 years, give or take, we haven't yet gotten to see the results of our pairings. But the time is coming and I can't wait to see more fruits of their labor, especially with some of the names that are being thrown around. 

This is such a fun fluff series that has really convinced me that I need to try more sci-fi romance. I love the big blue aliens, tails and all... and I'm so glad that the heroines have been laid back and/or self-sufficient without doing the freak out dance in response to every adversity.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this audiobook that I received from the publisher, Tantor Audio.




Purchase Links


Ice Planet Barbarians




No comments:

Post a Comment