Tuesday, June 20, 2017

ARC Review: The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz

Series:     Jane Hawk #1
Pub. Date:June 20, 2017
Publisher:Bantam
Length:464 pages
Source:NetGalley

It's been some time since I have picked up a Dean Koontz book, and The Silent Corner has convinced me that I need to do so more often. Koontz' complex imagination and evocative writing style never fail to raise the hair on my arms, and the Jane Hawk series is no exception.

Jane Hawk is an FBI agent on leave and on the run. Not convinced that her husband's death was a suicide, Jane's investigation into the rising suicide rate around the nation has drawn the attention of some very scary and powerful people. Now she must conduct her investigation as covertly as possible while on the move as she runs from those who don't want their secrets to come to light. Jane was a likable and relatable heroine. She was capable and admirably determined, but with a tragic quality that helped humanize her to the reader. Despite the danger she was in and her single-minded focus, she presented as a genuinely caring individual and treated those around with respect.

The plot conflict was classic Koontz - a bone chilling conspiracy to enslave society by billionaires and mad scientists. The product was a complex and thrilling ride that made me look at my migraines in a whole new way. The pacing was in turns fast-paced action, intellectual discussion of the evil genius technology, and strategy sessions, with a few moments of vulnerability thrown in for our heroine. It was definitely a story that I didn't want to put down. I was rushing page to page trying to figure out what would happen next.

Jane was aided by a few engaging secondary characters, with a larger role played by a piteous and pious war veteran. I hope the secondary characters continue to play a role in future installments. I am definitely happy this is the start of a new series and hope we see Jane taking on "the man" for the foreseeable future.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Bantam Books.


No comments:

Post a Comment