Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Review: Ruby Fever


Buy on Amazon

Ruby Fever concludes the Catalina Baylor portion of the Hidden Legacy series, and much like the rest of this series, it did not disappoint. Ruby Fever was packed with action, magic, team work, family and drama. I moved to Houston around the inception of this series, so I have loved “growing” into my new residence along with this series, and seeing all the familiar areas and places mentioned. I can’t help but “look” for Nevada, Connor, Catalina and friends as I happen upon places like Buffalo Bayou, River Oaks, etc.

As we know, Catalina is the secret deputy to the Warden of Texas, Linus Duncan. But when Linus is incapacitated, Catalina is required to step up and deal with matters as not only the Acting Warden, but also as Head of House Baylor, and life partner to Alessandro. There was so much for Catalina to unpack in this installment, and she handled it all with aplomb. Over the course of this series, Catalina has grown into her powers and personality and we have followed along with her emotional coming-of-age that had been stunted for so long. She finally accepts herself and her magical nature in this finale, and it was beautiful to behold. I love the dual sides of her nature as they appeared and were explained. She has proven herself a capable leader in all aspects of her life.

Alessandro continues to prove his love for Catalina, though in an effort to not to add to Catalina’s burden, he still isn’t as forthcoming as he should be in all aspects. I think he finally comes to the realization that Catalina can handle her issues along with his, and that the team approach works better in a relationship. Alessandro also came to terms with his obsession for revenge against Arkan, and learned some unfortunate truths about his own family.

I thought the imperial connection was interesting… and I ended up liking Konstantine after was all said and done. I viewed him as somewhat of a tragic anti-hero and hope that we see more of him, or maybe a spinoff involving his character in the future. I even enjoyed the appearance of Victoria Tremaine, our grandmother from hell. We certainly learned some truths about her that changed my view of her role in the Baylor girls’ lives. So I was happy with all the surprises (I think).

Next we should expect to see another story arc for Hidden Legacy involving Arabella Baylor, our Beast of Cologne. And it seems she will have met her match in a certain Russian prince/nephew. I’m sure there are interesting times ahead for these two larger-than-life characters.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment