Friday, September 9, 2022

Review: Smoke Bitten


Buy on Amazon

I got a bit behind on this series, so I’m binging the latest 3 books. It bothers my OCD that I don’t have time to go re-read the whole series (which I love) because I have forgotten some details in my absence. Like, I can remember who Wolfe (the vampy Wolfe) is or where he came from. And I like him. He’s just the right mischievous and dangerous element for the story. And, he makes me laugh.

Anywho, in this installment, Mercy and crew have lots of drama to deal with. Not only politicians and witches and fae, but also a mysterious monster biting people and body snatching! Mercy also has some interpersonal issues in the pack following Adam’s edict that (basically) no one can be mean to her. That may have done her a disservice as now it’s harder to tell who is being genuine, and who is only being nice due to the alpha’s command. It seems the dynamic in this pack is always changing, and the social structure and hierarchy is interesting to behold.

Luckily, Mercy has the ever faithful Tad and Zee to rely on. I have to say that Siebod Adelbertsmiter is one of my favorite characters. He provides solid secondary support, and I always enjoy what he adds to the story. A new and interesting secondary character is also emerging for me - Stefan. His tragic mystery is intriguing and he offers some magical whammies in this installment that were unexpected. Coyote also makes an appearance in his own trickster way, but he helps more than hurts in this case.

The only downside to this story for me was the relationship between Mercy and Adam. I feel like we have moved into the “old married couple” phase and there is a spark missing between them. Everything is comfortable pajamas and no excitement. I would like to see them spice things up here and there.

4 stars / 2 flames.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment