Thursday, August 4, 2022

Review: Long Live the Soulless


Buy on Amazon

This is the end… of everything.

Binge complete! Long Live the Soulless it the culmination of the Dark Maji series, in which we have met mages, skeevs, raksasa, pirate queens, tree-dwelling warriors, and dark gods.

Our main couple, Quinn and Lazarus, are of the anti-heroine and anti-hero variety. Yet their darkness is no where near the level of the dark inside the champion of the light gods. {{{SHUDDER}}}. Quinn continues to work toward Lazarus’ ends, even while dead-ish. Sisterly devotion and a dark deal bring Quinn out of the dark realm to continue the light and dark gods’ chess game. Quinn remains the unapologetic and powerful anti-heroine that I have loved from the first book, which prompted this series binge. Her time spent with a dark god has only enhanced her devastating and determined personality, yet her heart still beats for one man - Lazarus.

After his devastating loss, and in the manner in which it was caused, Lazarus has released his inner demons (souls) to rampage while hiding himself away. Yet this is only losing him time to prepare for the war that is still raging, and preparing to march to his door. Finally, once he is ready for revenge against the one man who took his dangerous woman, will her coming back change his mind?

Soooo while I really enjoyed this series, I felt the ending was a bit anti-climactic. I loved the character development we got here for Risk, and Quinn’s psyche kept evolving to a more dangerous state. But I would have liked some more relationship development with Lazarus and Quinn, and I definitely felt like our villain got more of a fizzle than a bang in the ending. I do feel like there is an opportunity here a spin-off series (or two), and I haven’t looked yet to see if those are out there. But I have discovered a new author here and I am glad she has a backlist I can riffle through when I’m looking for a distraction.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment