Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Indie Wednesday Spotlight Review: Rough by Skye Warren


This Indie Wednesday I am excited to present Skye Warren, an author that I always enjoy but that I need to read more of.  I am stoked to meet Skye at the RT Convention next month, and am happy to have gotten in a few of her books before attending to amp up my fangirl a little bit.

Rough 
by Skye Warren
Series:  Chicago Underground #1
Pub. Date:  May 24, 2015
Publisher:  Self-Pub
Pages:  162


My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


I'm a cautionary tale. A statistic. A victim. A single teenage mother from the poor part of town. Most of the time I'm too busy working and struggling to care what people think. Survival doesn't come easy.

I have a dark secret, a pressure valve, a rare moment just for myself. On these nights I visit a club. There I find men who give me what I need. Men who aren't afraid to take what they want.

Men like Colin.

But he takes more than a few stolen hours. He demands more than my body. He wants my heart and soul--my happily ever after. I never thought I'd be Cinderella. I never thought a man that rough could be my prince.

Gah! I didn't realize this was a serial novella type book until I got to the end was like WOAH - where's the rest of the book?!? Oops. I obviously didn't investigate this one over much before I read. But when a book is from a trusted author like Skye Warren, I usually skip all the pre-read investigation and don't do much more than read the blurb (if even that).

It's no secret that I love a good bad boy, and Colin definitely has that good bad boy potential. He is a badass and seemingly the strong silent type. But that is all I can really say about him right now. We don't know anything about his character other than that he owns a restaurant, is close with his family, and may be doing some shady things on behalf of his brother.

We do know a little more about our tortured heroine, Allie. She has suffered a horrible betrayal by someone she was very close to, and that has really shaped the last couple years of her life. I was drawn in to the conflict she felt about this person - it was an amalgamation of fear, anxiety, hate and love. As someone who had gotten burnt out on new adult heroines, I was also shocked that I liked Allie's character. She was a very mature 19 years old. And although I didn't understand some of her choices, I still had a good connection to her.

I was a little thrown off by the lack of detail in this book. We literally only learn the bare minimum about our main characters, and the surface details of the story. So I am interested to see how much more the plot and series is developed as the series progresses. I trust Skye and I enjoyed the start of the story, and I think she will take us in a good direction if we just stick with it.

This book is free on Amazon at the time of posting. 

View all my reviews

Chicago Underground


No comments:

Post a Comment