Friday, March 4, 2016

Freebie Friday Review: Beg by C.D. Reiss


Beg 
by C.D. Reiss
Serial:  Songs of Submission #1
Pub. Date:  Jan. 16, 2013
Free Date:  Jan. 27, 2015
Publisher:  Flip City Media
Pages:  102


My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:




Jonathan Drazen is a known womanizer and a gorgeous piece of man I'm not letting into my heart. Ever. 

Yeah, he's rich, beautiful, charming as hell, and he has a wit as sharp as a double-edged razor... but he's made it perfectly clear that this is a short-term fuck. Three nights, tops, then we part like sexually satisfied grown-ups. 

I believe him when he says he can't love me. I'm not trying to fall in love, either. 

We get in. Get it on. Get the hell out. Done. 

Right? 

Right. 

This is a short and quick review for a short and quick first episode of the Songs of Submission serial.

Monica is a struggling musician, having sworn off men to focus on her dreams. Her bandmates include a bassist with a nervous stomach (Henry), a suicidal pianist/keyboard player (Gabby), and her ex-boyfriend on the drums (Darren). Monica finds herself tangled up with bazillionaire Jonathan Drazen, a sexy and dominant corporate mogul. Tensions builds for a bit before we get some hot and steamy smexytime.

C.D. Reiss can certainly craft a story and set a scene. I was able to imagine the songs/lyrics that she described Monica singing and even found a great cover of Under My Skin.

   

Reiss' characters were real and had depth, even the secondary characters. That is no easy feat to accomplish in only 100 pages. I think that Jonathan is going to be a particularly engaging character - he is broody and vulnerable - and someone I would love to get my hands on and "fix"! So I really have nothing going in the story (so far) that I don't like.

But honestly, story aside, I don't like that it's a serial. There are 9 episodes of this serial at a cost of $2.99 to $3.99 each. That's $30 for one story. I have a hard time paying that for a single story, even if each installment is 100 pages - that's way to expensive even for a book that I really like. When you read as much as I do, it would put me in the poor house to pay $30 per story. If only these were available at the library. Le sigh. Luckily I got the first book for free (on Jan. 29, 2015)... and maybe I can get someone to loan me some of the others because I do want to see where the story is going.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment