Monday, January 26, 2015

Review: Throttle Me (Men of Inked # 1)


Throttle Me
Throttle Me (Men of Inked #1) by Chelle Bliss

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Sultry Scale: 3 of 5 flames


Suzy’s a control freak and has her life mapped out - work hard, find a man with a stable job, and live happily ever after. She’s content with the status quo, but her plan comes to a screeching halt when he enters her life and turns it upside down.

City gave up on love when his heart was crushed in college, preferring to be the typical bachelor. He spends his nights hopping from one bed to another and his days working at his family tattoo shop, Inked. A chance encounter on a dark road makes him question what he had sworn off forever – a relationship.

A night of passion and lust causes them to question everything. Is City the knight in shining armor to the damsel in distress? Can their relationship survive when a fantasy falls apart and a secret comes out that changes everything?

This is the first book in the Men of Inked Series.


This book made me ranty! I had such high hopes - the average reviews are 4 stars. And that cover - OMG, that cover - it DESERVES a great story. But I was annoyed for the duration of the book. It starts off okay. We meet our smart-girl lead, an innocent who secretly wants to be bad. I thought I would relate to her, especially when she said bad luck follows her and her car breaks down on the side of the road while she is wearing uncomfortable hooker heels. That' would totally happen to me! But after that, it pretty much fell apart .

The writing seemed very simple. Does that even make sense? I can't think of a better way to describe it. And it was very immature. Seriously - I thought if it weren't for the sex, it could be a story about junior high. I mean, at one point, she says "it's on like Donkey Kong!"  And later - she was worried about someone stealing her vintage cassette tapes! WTF?  That made me feel really really old.  Suzy was seriously TSTL. I wanted to smack her at least 50x throughout the book. She was very immature and judgmental. She thought City wasn't good enough for her just because he had tats and piercings. Whatever. I hated her wishy washy behavior with a passion. She was childish and unreasonably jealous. I apologize for all the adjectives in this paragraph, but I really seriously absolutely hated this chick.

City... man, what potential. Tattoos, piercings, a nice bike, a business and money. But that's about all I can say. I think I lost respect for him because he put up with Suzy. She just ruined the whole book for me.  I loved that he called her sugar.  I could totally get down with the sugar endearment... BUT it was not believable for a dude from Chicago. At least to me it wasn't.  You need a deep-voiced drawl to pull that off.

The one good thing about this book? This quote:
Sometimes life doesn't give us what we're looking for, but it gives us what is supposed to be. We just have to be willing to take the plunge.

Will I keep reading? I don't know. I don't trust the reviews now. So I won't continue with the series right away, but I may try again in the future.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment