Friday, February 8, 2019

ARC Review: Motion by Penny Reid

Series:     Law of Physics #1
Pub. Date:Feb. 11, 2019
Publisher:Cipher-Naught
Length:200 pgs
Source:Author

Motion is the first book in a new trilogy from Penny Reid, Law of Physics, which is marginally connected to her Knitting in the City series and the Elements of Chemistry trilogy. The Law of Physics line of stories seems to be classic Penny Reid: smart and unique heroines paired with likable heroes. 

Our heroine in this series is Mona DaVinci, genius daughter to a Hollywood superstar couple. Mona is off-the-charts intelligent, but also somewhat naive, and leaning towards pessimistic. When she was asked to impersonate her laissez-faire party girl twin sister, I didn't think she would be able to pull it off. But Mona seems to be kinda pulling off her stint as Lisa, though things get more complicated the more she interacts with our hero, who also happens to be her babysitter and warden. I liked Mona quite a bit. I thought the insights we got into her coming-of-age were interesting and I hope we get more snippets in future books about how it was for her to go to school and college at such a young age. Sometimes smart heroines can be interesting, which Mona was, but I also found her to be relatable and fun (in a quirky way).

Our hero is Abram, whom you may recognize as Marie's brother from the KiTC series. Abram is a musician, and seems to have a big heart and soft vulnerable side. It's been a while since I read KiTC so I can't really remember much about Abram that appeared in those stories. I wish I did remember more, because I felt like we were missing Abram factoids here. I was hungry for tidbits about him, his music, his interests, and his past. What we did get about Abram though, was pretty good. I liked his personality and interactions with our heroine. Though I felt bad for him... I just know that he is going to be hurt by Mona's deception 

So this first story does not give us a relationship, but is the initial stages of Mona and Abram getting to know each other. Sort of. As much as you can get to know someone who is pretending to be someone else. The chemistry between the two was great. I feel like they are an odd pair, but are perfectly matched (if that makes sense). I can't wait to see how things develop over the rest of the trilogy.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the author.

Purchase Links


1 comment: