Wednesday, February 27, 2019

ARC Review: Circle of the Moon by Faith Hunter

Series:     Soulwood #4
Pub. Date:Feb. 26, 2019
Publisher:Ace Roc Books
Length:368 pgs
Source:NetGalley

I'm a huge fan of Faith Hunter, and this series is a perfect example why. Our heroine, Nell Ingram, is such a unique and interesting character that I could read about her every day and never get bored. I love the aspect and characteristics of her power and land, and her upbringing in a polygamous cult adds a dynamic aspect to her character that brings her down to earth and makes her relatable. Not because of the cult aspect, but just her simple common sense approach to everything, and even her ability to turn on the church widder woman persona when she wants to prove a point or manipulate someone.

In this installment, Nell and the PsyLED team are going up against an unknown black magic practitioner and their nefarious plans for paras, and team leader Rick in particular. You know, I never liked Rick in the Jane Yellowrock series, for reasons relating to their relationship. But in the Soulwood series, you really get a closer look at Rick, things that have happened in his life (horrible things), and have a deeper perspective of the whole story. Now you can't help but feel for Rick and want him to find his happy ending somewhere, somehow, even when it seems the most unlikely.


The villain(s) and nefarious plans for our suspense plot have been in the works for a very long time, which required us to learn even more about Rick and his past. I thought the plot in this one was well-written and well-developed, and unfolded along at the perfect pace to keep me turning the page all day. It even helped me knock out 5 miles on the elliptical without dying! The story also dropped hints at things that may be happening in the Jane Yellowrock world that have me very intrigued for the next book in that series. 

I really like that Nell's personal life is interwoven with the PsyLED work as it helps humanize Nell and advances the plot quite nicely. Nell is still working on her plan to adopt her little sister, Mud, which sees Nell becoming more of a townie, though somewhat reluctantly. Nell and Occam also continue to grow their relationship, and its so freaking sweet that it makes my teeth ache. I just love Occam's "Nell, Sugar..." I can't wait to see what the next book has in store for this couple, and possibly other couples within the team.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment