Thursday, February 28, 2019

ARC Review: The Beast's Heart by Leife Shallcross

Pub. Date:Feb. 12, 2019
Publisher:Berkley
Length:416 pgs
Source:NetGalley

It's been a while since I've read a retelling, and I have always been a sucker for Beauty and the Beast themes. So I was intrigued by the premise of this story, as a retelling from the Beast's perspective. And I have to say, I was not disappointed.

This story was a little different than other retellings I have read in the past, and its been so freaking long since I read the original, I can't tell how much it diverged from the original story line. But I liked it regardless. The Beast was such a solitary and sad creature, his vulnerability fairly leapt off the page in this story. I just wanted to snatch him up and pet him and hug him and love him forever. (I may be dating myself with that cartoonish reference!) We start out with the Beast when he is lost to his animal nature, and is slowing coming back to himself and his humanity. The Beast finds himself at his ancestral home, which is full of magic, and seems to be as a consequence of his curse. 

Then you have the traditional parts of the story with the father of our heroine coming to the castle first, followed by our heroine, Isabeau. I found Isabeau to be a likeable heroine, yet sometimes confusing. I didn't always understand her treatment of the Beast... but that was okay, because this story was from his perspective so it was all about him, his thoughts, issues and feelings. When they were together, I did like the relationship between the pair. Though I felt sad for the Beast who tried so very hard to get Isabeau to love him.

The magic added a nice aspect to this story and I liked the way it was woven throughout - it wasn't overpowering but added touches of convenience here and there to ease the way. I didn't quite buy the reasoning or rationale behind the Beast's curse, but it didn't detract from the story much for me. I thought the addition of Isabeau's sisters, who we watch go through their own personal growth, was also a nice addition to the story. It gave us an alternate focus when Isabeau and the Beast were not together.

If you are a fan of retellings, give this one a shot. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment