Friday, August 10, 2018

Audiobook Review: Queen Takes King by Joely Sue Burkhart

Series:Their Vampire Queen #2
Pub. Date:May 29, 2018
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrators:Tristan James
Cassandra Myles
Length:8 hrs 22 min
Source:Publisher


Their Vampire Queen has been my first foray into the recently trending reverse harem genre. I wasn't sure how I felt after the first book, Queen Takes Knights, but the story is starting to shape up and I was more interested in this installment.

Shara, Vampire Queen and last daughter of Isis, is still coming into her power and calling "Blood" (men) to her. She seems to be adjusting well to her new life at status as a Queen, and is beginning to learn the types of political intrigue she will be facing going forward. But first and foremost, she must secure her nest and her blood. I liked Shara better in this installment. I felt like she is maturing, and I like that she is not a heroine who loses her head in a crisis.

Shara adds a number of Blood to her harem in this installment, which I wasn't quite expecting. I thought we were going after a king, so the other additions were a nice touch. Rik and Dare didn't lose their place, and the other men complemented. I really like Guillome, our templar knight, and his character was surrounded by great imagery. I also really liked the new druid, and can't wait to learn more about him and his character.  The jury is still out on Leviathan for me... there are some things about him that I like and some characteristics which don't seem to "fit" the rest of his persona.

In the first installment, I felt like everything was rushed and there wasn't enough detail. I didn't get that feeling with this story. I was more interested in the plot, political machinations, and learning about the new characters. And I felt that there was sufficient detail with each aspect to draw me in.

That being said... there is just a bit too much detail with all this blood. It got squicky for me. I'm not kink shaming, but blood play is just not my thing. And I just couldn't help thinking about how much clothes, sheets and furniture were being ruined for not wearing sanitary items if you know what I mean. Erm, no. Not for me.

But I am definitely going to keep reading and see where the story takes us next. I am invested at this point, just a little standoffish with the kinky times. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Tantor Audio.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment