Tuesday, August 7, 2018

ARC Review: Serpentine by Laurell K. Hamilton

Series:Anita Blake #26
Pub. Date:Aug 7, 2018
Publisher:Berkley
Length:512 pgs
Source:NetGalley

It's hard to believe that Serpentine is the 26th book in the Anita Blake series. I wish the Merry Gentry series had so many books out! I'm glad they are both still going as, whenever one comes out, it's like spending some time with old friends (who are ass-kicking monster killers).

In this installment, it's time for Edward/Ted's wedding down in the Keys, and Anita is the best man. Our big players in the story are (of course), Anita and Edward, along with Nathaniel, Micah and Nicky. There is a short Cameo for Jean Claude early on, but it seems that the series has shifted in these last books with more features by the shifters than the vamps. Unless I'm remembering wrong, there is usually a good stretch between releases that does my memory no favors.

So of course, wherever Anita goes, trouble will find her. There is lots of drama to go around in Key West. Relationship drama abounds, and it seems that some are not as happy with the poly group, and others are feeling neglected. There is wedding drama and bigotry. Micah is stressed about the Coalition, with a never-before-seen shapeshifter situation. And of course a criminal investigation pops up. I had fun navigating through the morass with our main characters, even the relationship drama which is usually an annoyance for me. 

I also liked seeing The Four Horsemen back in action. Each of them adds a unique (and scary) twist to the story, given that they are all on the same side. I think the only one that I didn't quite care for in this installment was Donna, she was just a bit too irrational and weepy for me in this one. But it was great to have small parts from Peter and Becca, who are great kids. Well, Peter is a grown man now so I'm interested to see what his future involvement will be.

Overall, I had a good time with this book. I get along well with Anita, and I like her character. The poly group didn't seem overwhelming here, even though Micah and Nathaniel are not my favorites of her partners. I hope we get some variety in the next book. Reading one of the new releases always makes me want to go back and do a re-read, so I may look at doing that in audio sometime soon.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this audiobook that I received from the publisher, Berkley.


Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment