Monday, July 2, 2018

ARC Review: The Highlander's Promise by Lynsay Sands

Series:Highlanders #6
Pub. Date:June 26, 2018
Publisher:Avon
Length:384 pgs
Source:Edelweiss

Lynsay Sands' Highlanders series has been one of my favorites over the last year or so. I love the big rambunctious and loyal Buchanan family, and have enjoyed seeing each brother (and sister) meet their matrimonial end so to speak. But when I saw the blurb for this book and realized it was about Aulay, I got grabby hands. I feel like this may have been my most anticipated installment of the series.

Aulay Buchanan is the eldest of the Buchanan brood, and arguably the most vulnerable. Losing his twin brother in battle and being horribly scarred in the process has taken quite the toll on our laird. People cringe when they see his face, and he was jilted in a most cruel way by his former betrothed, a vile woman named Adaira. So I have had a soft spot in my heart for Aulay throughout the series. He leads his clan, but because of his insecurity, he's not loud and boisterous with his authority (unlike his unruly brothers and sister). 

Jetta comes to us as an enigma, fished out of the sea by Aulay and Alick, without a memory of who she is or how she came to be there. But her first response to Aulay was so sweet and heartwarming, that I instantly liked her. Having no memory means Jetta had no pretense and we got to see her natural personality shine through. She took the Buchanans and memory loss in stride, leaning on Aulay when she was unsure of something. I found her to be endearing and resilient given her injuries.

The relationship between Aulay and Jetta was so sweet it gave me a toothache (in the best way). I have wanted the best for Aulay all along, and it seems he found someone who was not only not bothered by his scar, but thought it gave him a rakish air. But interspersed in the sweetness was some great chemistry between our couple, and they steamed up my kindle screen quite a few times. I loved how Aulay treated Jetta, both before and after her memories were back. He was not accustomed to flowery words and feelings, but it was fun watching him try to express them. 

As in the other Buchanan tales, the story had a secondary storyline of suspense. Someone is trying to do away with our heroine, and its up to the family to try to keep her safe. I would say that the suspense plot in this story was not quite as strong as some of the earlier tales, but it was a good diversion all the same and helped advance the plot along in between our bouts of romance.

If you enjoy historical romance, particularly Scottish historicals, I urge you to give this series a try. I would start at the beginning so you get the entire back story on all the other characters.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Avon.


Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment