Friday, May 18, 2018

Audiobook Review: The Unseelie King by Heather Killough-Walden

Series:     The Kings #6
Pub. Date:March 20, 2018
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrator:Antony Ferguson
Length:6 hrs 51 min
Source:Publisher

Man, it's been four or five years since I've read the earlier books in this series and I couldn't for the life of me remember what happened in those books. I probably should have went back and re-read at least the last book, but I was being optimistic. Luckily, I was still entertained even though my memory failed me.

The gist, and what I could remember, is that there are 13 kings, each of the paranormal variety. After centuries of life, the kings are finding their fated mates one-by-one. Each book features a different couple, but there is also an ongoing series arc that sees the kings meeting and plotting in a board room. That ongoing arc is where I'm the most fuzzy. 

Our hero in this installment is Caliban, the Unseelie King. Caliban is the brother of Avery from the last book, the Seelie King. Caliban seems to be the darker and more dangerous brother, which I suspect is necessary for ruling over the unseelie and dark fae. I really like his type of character, but I feel like I didn't get to know him well enough. I would have loved to see more character development and learn about his life over the centuries. I liked that he was patient and understanding with our heroine, without giving up his dominant and commanding nature. 

It probably comes as no surprise that our heroine, Minerva, is sister to Selene, Seelie queen and Avery's mate. Like Selene, Minerva is a very rare wisher, a race who was hunted to extinction by fae who were afraid of their immense power. And we get a power demonstration fairly early on from Minerva after she learns of the murder of her parents. Luckily Avery was there to prevent a bigger disaster, though she did not thank him for it. I was glad that Minerva got with the program fairly quickly and she didn't hold the earlier subjugation against Caliban. She seemed to take everything in stride after that, without becoming a meek and mild mouse. 

This was a fairly quick read/listen, so the romance had to move along at a good clip to fit within the confines of the book. I liked Minerva and Caliban together. They worked well and fought well as a team, and I was glad that Minerva trusted him even when her life depended on it.

I'm not usually a fan of male narrators as they have a hard time affecting a believable female persona for me. However, Anthony Ferguson did a good job with this performance. He was a great representation of Caliban, and his affection of Minerva didn't grate on my nerves. The only complaint was the pronunciation of Minerva.... it sounded like Minn-over and drove me a little nuts. Otherwise, this kept me entertained as I planted flowers all day Sunday.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this audiobook that I received from the publisher, Tantor Audio.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment