Tuesday, May 8, 2018

ARC Review: The Whispering Room by Dean Koontz

Series:     Jane Hawk #2
Pub. Date: Nov. 21, 2017
Publisher:Bantam
Length:512 pgs
Source:NetGalley

I've been a bad blogger and this is another book from my blogger shame pile. I don't have a good excuse for being so late with this review, other than sometimes its hard reading to a calendar. When you come up to a certain book on the schedule, sometimes you just aren't in the mood for that story or genre or trope. I think that is what happened here. I'm a long time Koontz fan, and I really enjoyed the last book in this series, so it has nothing to do with the writing or author or even the book itself. It's just me being moody, and I need to get better at that.

So the Jane Hawk series started with a bang in The Silent Corner, and the writing seemed to be classic Koontz. Dynamic suspense and chock full of action and conspiracy theories - the things that I loved most about his writing style. I am happy to report that the momentum was carried through with this next installment, The Whispering Room
Our capable and tragic heroine, Jane Hawk, is the most wanted "criminal" in America as she traverses the country taking on evil incarnate. Our villains, calling themselves the Arcadians, are playing on the theme of the Manchurian Candidate, brainwashing humans with the use of nanotechnology to make them mindless automatons willing to do whatever their programs require, to include suicide, sexual slavery, and mindless killing. It starts as a migraine, then is reported to feel after there is a spider laying eggs in your brain. (((SHUDDER)))

Jane makes for a great crusader. She is sympathetic, relatable, resourceful, intelligent and determined. She sees the bigger picture and knows how important it is to stop the Arcadians, not only as a means of her vengeance, but also to make the world safe for herself, her son and millions of innocent people. I liked that Jane wasn't blinded by the big picture though, she is still able to recognize lesser injustices and intervene when necessary. She also has the knack of picking up uber interesting partners and sidekicks, and I have liked them all immensely. I was a little sad to see that our partner from the first book didn't reappear in this installment, but I have hopes for future books.

I enjoyed the story and the pacing was such that I didn't want to put it down. The only drawback came with the conflict resolution toward the end, which felt weak and rushed. I was left feeling unsatisfied with how things panned out, even though I would have never predicted the outcome. But it wasn't a HUGE letdown, I would have just liked something a little more explosive. The story was great otherwise. I will be jumping right into the next installment, The Crooked Staircase, so stay tuned for that review.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Bantam. 


Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment