Thursday, July 28, 2022

Review: Twisted is the Crown


Buy on Amazon

Vengeance is Had…

With the 3rd book in the Dark Maji series, Twisted is the Crown, we see Quinn Darkova returning to her homeland of N’Skara. Although they return under the guise of seeking an alliance for House Fierte, Quinn has her own agenda.

This book is intense. We learn much about Quinn and her family, including their sordid past. Our anti-heroine lets her darkness shine to achieve both the agenda of Lazarus, but also her own vengeance against those who wronged her. I am enthralled with Quinn, her sister, and their story. Even though I still consider her an anti-heroine, she is a pseudo-villain that you can’t help but rooting for. Her darkness shines way brighter than the supposed light maji of N’skari, and I would choose that darkness over corrupt light any day.

I continue to be proud of Lazarus for allowing Quinn to shine and follow her path. He does not impede her in this book, even though there were extreme circumstances. He is the epitome of a supportive lord and potential lover. Even our secondary characters, while taking a back seat in this story, did not interfere with Quinn’s actions or plans. I truly feel they are becoming a family, not of the blood.

This book is somewhat darker than the rest. I should add a trigger warning for anyone who has trouble with rape or abuse in their stories. While I know that is not for everyone, the emotional aspects serve to draw me in and form a stronger bond with the characters. I wasn’t too pleased with the ending here, but I am hoping that it serves a greater purpose which will catapult me into the next book. Binge continues.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment