Thursday, July 7, 2022

Review: Cackle


Buy on Amazon

This is a quirky read about Annie, who is 30 years old, newly single, a serial monogamist, needing validation and lacking self esteem. I felt bad for Annie at first, she's immersed in a relationship thinking marriage is on the horizon, only to be blindsided by the opposite. We've likely all been there, some of us more than once.

Annie moves to a new town due to financial issues, and finds herself so lonely and miserable that she is talking to spiders. I felt bad for her... but I could relate to the lonely feeling so then I felt bad for myself. And that was depressing. But, I digress. TMI and all that. Annie is a high school teacher, although she doesn't enjoy it and it seems to add to the self esteem problems. I found that odd. Other than that initial lonely connection, I found it hard to relate to Annie.

Anyway, Annie moves to this picturesque little town with strange undercurrents. She meets a mysterious new friend who is intriguing and strangely clingy. The towns people seem apprehensive, but carry on with a friendly facade. This mysterious creature and friend is Sophie. Who is she? What is she? What's her story, how does she fit with this town, what's the history? I liked Sophie, but I had so many questions that are unanswered. I felt like more details about Sophie and her history would have drawn me into the story more.

Overall this is a story about Annie coming back to herself and realizing that losing a bad boyfriend is not the end of the world. Along the way she gains a new friend and some special abilities. I feel like this may be a cathartic read for anyone going thru a recent breakup, but for others you may be left a little wanting. I would like to see a follow up book with more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment