Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Review: Blessed be the Wicked


Buy on Amazon


Political Intrigue and Pirate Queens!

The Dark Maji series continues with Blessed be the Wicked, where we follow Lord Fierte and his vassals into Tritol to seek an alliance with Imogen, the famous pirate queen of Ilvas. This installment is full of political intrigue, betrayal, and assassination attempts. Imogen and her House were not as cordial and welcoming to House Fierte, so Lazarus was forced to rely more on his vassals to gain what he sought.

I found the idea of Imogen’s character to be compelling, so I wish we would have gotten to know more about her in this story. Unfortunately, I feel like she was more on the periphery and didn’t get the chance to shine. Imogen’s adopted daughter is Axelle, who is still young and immature, but with some interesting characteristics of her own. I pictured her almost as the Disney Princess Merida, though I’m sure she would hate that comparison. I think her backstory is going to be very interesting as it evolves, and you do learn some of it in this book, so I won’t spoil the magical revelations.

I was proud of Lazarus for his increased trust and reliance on Quinn, even though it seemed to be a monumental feat for him to hold back and let her run the show. The character development is being trickled out as the stories progress, and I am greedily snatching up bits about Quinn and Lazarus. I am also enjoying the evolving relationship between Quinn and Neiss, her basilisk. I love these type of character traits and relationships… why can’t I have a basilisk!?! I want one, and I want it now Daddy!

This books rolls right into the next Twisted is the Crown, which sees House Fierte traveling to Quinn’s homeland, N’Skara, which promises to be explosive. I’m happily continuing my binge!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment