Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Review: Beautiful Lawman by Sophie Jordan

Series:     Devil's Rock #4
Pub. Date:December 26, 2017
Publisher:Avon
Narrator::Jill Tanner
Length:368 pgs
Source:Overdrive/Library

This is my first time reading a Sophie Jordan contemporary, and I don't know what took me so long. I am very intrigued by this series and I need to get to earlier books ASAP. While I haven't read the earlier books yet, I think they work well as standalones and I didn't feel overly lost of like I was missing information as I read. There appears to be a very small amount of character crossover, but nothing substantial enough to warrant the books being read in order.

Our heroine, Piper Walsh, is a tragic figure - a girl from the wrong side of the tracks who is held back by her family circumstances and reputation. While Piper has never gotten in trouble herself, she suffers disdain, prejudice and guilt by association from most everyone in the small town. I really hated that she was treated this way, especially given the amount of sacrifice and caring for her family that just seeped out of her at every turn. While Piper isn't usually the sort of heroine that I would connect with - I was drawn into her strife and was able to connect to her character.

Our yummy alpha hero is Sheriff Hale Walters - the beautiful law man. At nearly 6'5", he is braw and bonnie and fodder for every girl's fantasy. Hale's one black mark is his aversion to relationships, but even that wasn't enough to dim his appeal. I liked Hale's dedication to the job, but didn't like that he first cast Piper in the same light as others in the town. But he was able to redeem himself fairly quickly.

The chemistry between Piper and Hale was off the charts. Despite the fact that neither really liked the other at the beginning, they couldn't deny the attraction. It almost felt like a forbidden lust situation, and things between them got pretty explosive. I was totally jealous of Piper by the end, that's for sure. I liked that Hale became supportive of Piper and he got to play the knight in shining armor a couple of times... but Piper also got to take control of her own destiny and she came out better for it.

Overall this was a good contemporary and I'm definitely excited to read the rest of the series which promises some good bad boy action.


Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment