Friday, April 6, 2018

Audiobook Review: Untouchable Darkness by Rachel Van Dyken

Series:     Dark Ones #2
Pub. Date:Feb. 27, 2018
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrators:Chris Chambers
Hollie Jackson
Length:8 hrs 12 min
Source:Publisher

I tried really really hard with this book. I gave it 6.5 hours of my life - that's 80% of the audiobook. But I was really forcing it for most of the book. I think that this writing style just does not work for me. It's very abrupt and almost jarring at times. The transitions threw me out of the story... and I can honestly say that after listening to most of the book, I barely know what the storyline was. I felt like this was more of an outline of a story than an actual full story.

In the first book, The Dark Ones, I was intrigued by our hero's character. Cassius was this cold and powerful being, but you could tell there was a vulnerability there way down deep. I expected that in his story he would be redeemed or saved by his mate so to speak. I expected feeling and passion. But both of these characters were robots - I didn't feel any emotion from either of them. Maybe there was something in the last 20% that I missed... but I need more than that in a romance. These two mated fairly early in the book, so I expected more relationship building. Overall, the romance was uninspired.

There were some explanations (i.e. about the darkness) that didn't make much sense to me, and I didn't quite understand how the past was affecting the current timeline. That may have been those transition problems that I mentioned earlier.

I am definitely in the minority with this review, and I know this is a very popular author. I think the writing style is just not for me.

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary copy of this book that I received from the publisher.



Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment