Friday, February 23, 2018

Audiobook Review: I Like Big Dragons and I Cannot Lie by Lani Lynn Vale

Series:     I Like Big Dragons #1
Pub. Date:Jan. 18, 2018
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrators:Mason Lloyd
Kendall Taylor
Length:5 hrs 44 min
Source:Publisher

You guys all know that I am a sucker for dragon stories, so this book (title and blurb) intrigued me. When I saw that the hero would be the Prince of Dragons, I thought dragon shapeshifters. But this story involves dragon riders... and the dragons are sentient and communicative with the humans. I loved that aspect.

Unfortunately the story and writing style did not work for me. It seemed like the author hit all the plot highlights, but ignored all the details that would have drawn me into the story. I wanted more character development and less skipping ahead. You would be reading about one day, then it would be a month later, then 3 weeks later, then 2 weeks later... it was just going in fast forward and I didn't have time to connect with any of the characters. As this continued happening toward the end, I felt like I missed some big plot points. Almost to the extent that it seemed like some of the book was missing. I debated rewinding to see if my attention wandered and I just missed something... but I couldn't find it in me to care enough to rewind and relisten. 

There were some good aspects, and I am in the minority with this review. Like I said above, I loved the dragons. There were also some humorous moments, like the heroine's panties catching fire (literally) any time she had a dirty thought. But overall, it just didn't work for me. As these are short reads/listens, I might give the series another shot when I have the time, but it's not something I am eager to continue right this moment.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this audiobook that I received from the publisher, Tantor Audio.

Purchase Links


I Like Big Dragons



No comments:

Post a Comment