Thursday, May 11, 2017

Guest Review by Julie: A Tangled Web by M.L. Sparrow

Pub. Date:Feb. 1, 2017
Publisher:Self-Pub
Length:94 pages
Source:Author

I'm always leery of picking up a young adult story. I'm never sure if the story will be dripping in teenage angst or if it will be balanced teenage angst. Having said that, A TANGLED WEB turned out to be a really good-and reasonably balanced-read. And I admit it, I was leery when I started reading.

The story began slowly; teenage angst, lies, and misunderstandings played out before my eyes and had me questioning if I wanted to continue on. Happily I did, and found myself caught up in the earthquake, the ensuing aftermath and the wait to see what happened next. That part alone had me holding my breathe in high anticipation of an ending I wasn't sure would happen!

However, if the teen drama drove me slightly batty, the cultural aspects of the novella more than made up for it! The glimpses into the Japanese culture were quite interesting and informative. The glossary at the end was also much appreciated! The food, language, even the small mannerisms, reminded me of my own childhood of growing up in an American/Asian household and I enjoyed how Sparrow wove those small details in. 

Overall, this turned out to be a worthwhile read. As I mentioned above, the cultural aspects were my favorite, but the character's relationships were the heart of this novella. 

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book which I received at no cost from the author.




Reviewed by Julie H. for Bambi Unbridled
Julie is a transplanted military brat that now calls the Midwest home with her own romantic hero, daughter and two furbabies. While she toils the day away in a medical office, she would really rather be reading! Julie loves historical romance, steampunk, romantic suspense, military romance (duh!), paranormal and urban fantasy.  She loves a kickass take-charge heroine, lots of action, and the all-important HEA. Julie can get down with an alpha male, but she does not discount a nerdy hero with a sexy brain.

Julie and Bambi met at the RT Convention where they found themselves standing in many lines, sharing their similar reading interests, and fangirling over attending authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment