Friday, May 19, 2017

Audiobook Review: King by Eve Langlais

Series:     Space Gypsy #4
Pub. Date:April 25, 2017
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrator:Chandra Skyye
Length:8 hrs 47 min
Source:Publisher

I am sad that this fun and entertaining space odyssey romance series come to an end... it's been a wild ride! There have been some major twists and turns that hit me out of left field, and King is no exception.

Rafe, The Chosen One, is finally on the path to the lead his people home to the lost Rhomanii planet. Emma and Mikhail are along for the ride and following Rafe's lead by necessity. That doesn't stop Emma from being a ridiculous damsel in need of saving... but she amazingly still hasn't gotten on my nerves. I found her horrid helplessness amusing most of the time. Mikhail is still the odd man out, which made him a sympathetic figure. He is pining for Emma, hated by his people, and trying to understand a confusing relationship with his brother.  

Not only are we following Rafe's path home (including challenges along the way), but there is also a little mystery to solve. Something is not quite right with Rafe and Mikhail... and its not just the voices in their heads! The rivalry between the brothers has its ups and downs, but we saw more instances of cooperation in this final installment. 

So many things happened unexpectedly in this series and this book in particular - and they seemed to come out of nowhere. I have seen some people complaining about how the series ends, but I kind of liked all the unexpected weird stuff. I felt like it fit in with the ambiance of the kitschy sci-fi trope. I have admired Eve Langlais' imagination and creativity throughout this series. The technology, aliens and planetary installations were so interesting and fun... and I loved the oversexed humor of our twin heroes. I hopes she writes more series in the sci-fi/space opera trope.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this audiobook that I received from the publisher, Tantor Audio.


Space Gypsy Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment