Friday, July 17, 2015

Review: The Spider by Jennifer Estep

The Spider 
by Jennifer Estep
Series:  Elemental Assassin #10
Pub. Date:  Dec. 24, 2013
Publisher:  Pocket Books
Pages:  401
Format:  eBook
Source:  Purchased
   

My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


The tenth book in the bestselling and “outstanding” (Romantic Times) Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series finally reveals for the first time the origins of Gin Blanco’s career as the deadliest of assassins.

For the first time, the origins of Gin Blanco’s career as the deadly assassin “the Spider” are revealed in full. In a story that pre-dates the other nine books in the series, Gin Blanco goes through her paces to become the most feared assassin in the Ashland.


I put off reading this book for the longest time because I am not a big fan of books that go back in time (i.e. prequels that come out after the series has started). But I really like this series, so I knew I needed to read it so I could continue on. And I was pleasantly surprised! It was really nice to have Fletcher back in the picture - I had forgotten how much I liked the father figure relationship between he and Gin. Finn was great as ever, and it was cool to see where a few characters got their first meeting with our main characters (Roslyn, Xavier, Bria and even Owen!).

The plot was good, if a little predictable. The reader will likely see the bad guy all along, but it was the most willfully blind that we have seen Gin. Though this helped show that Gin is human and her emotions are involved, she is not just a cold-blooded assassin. Your heart went out to her when she realizes the truth, and the setback prevented her from trusting anyone again for such a long time. I really enjoyed the first meeting between her and Owen. I can't remember if that has been mentioned before in the series. And the ending really goes to show how much heart Gin has, and how much she cares about those people who have crossed her path and meant something in her life. 

View all my reviews

Elemental Assassin Series



No comments:

Post a Comment