Friday, August 2, 2019

Audiobook Review: Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe by Heather Webber

Pub. Date:July 16, 2019
Publisher:MacMillan Audio
Narrators:Stephanie Willia
Bethany Lind
Nicholas Techosky
Length:11 hrs 46 min
Source:Publisher


Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe is my first read by Heather Webber, and it certainly won't be my last. I found this to be a sweet story with touches of romance and mysticism, and I loved the small town southern setting of Wicklow, Alabama. (Can I get one of those t-shirts???)


Following the death of her grandmother, Anna Kate Callow has made her very first trip to Wicklow to meet the terms of her grandmother's estate. This sees Anna Kate taking over the helm of the Blackbird Cafe and coming to terms with a painful part of her mother's past... something that made a huge impact on Anna Kate's life. While family drama is never a good thing, I enjoyed watching the family overcome a painful past and working toward healthy relationships. The small town, where everyone knows everyone else's business, both helped and hurt when it came to repairing that relationship. But in Wicklow, the majority of the people were nice and welcoming to all, whether they were long-time residents, long lost daughters, or newly-arrived tourists. Some of the characters made me nostalgic for my friends and family in Tennessee.

This story had a touch of magical realism surrounding the Callow family, Anna Kate's beloved-Granny Zee, and the mystical blackbirds inhabiting the mulberry trees on the Callow property. Although Anna Kate wasn't previously allowed in Wicklow, Granny Zee made sure to relate her family history in stolen moments and coded stories. I liked this mystical aspect of the story. It was a nice touch and wasn't overdone, but gave the plot an air of mystery and wonder that made it fun.

I also enjoyed the romance that slowly budded for both Anna Kate and Natalie. While all of the action happened off page, and the romance was more sweet than I typically read, I was glad for the added element to give the story an additional aspect of focus. The story kept my mind engaged and I was entertained for the duration. I quickly became invested in the characters, and not just our heroine. I really liked Natalie and Ollie, Gideon, and others. There was something to love about almost every character.

MacMillan also did a good job with the production of this audiobook. It's not often that I listen to an audiobook with three different narrators, and I liked the variance in character voices. They did a good job with the performance.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this audiobook that I received from the publisher.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment