Tuesday, August 20, 2019

ARC Review: Sapphire Flames by Ilona Andrews

Series:Hidden Legacy #4
Pub. Date:Aug 27, 2019
Publisher:Avon
Length:352 pgs
Source:Edelweiss

Sapphire Flames is the first full novel in the Hidden Legacy series transition from the story of Nevada Baylor, to that of her younger sister, Catalina Baylor. I do recommend that you read the novella, Diamond Fire, first. The novella serves as a nice bridge between the two series arcs, and we get to see Catalina before she becomes the Head of House Baylor, while she is still growing into her confidence and power.

Catalina Baylor has taken over as Head of House Baylor after Nevada married Connor Rogan. The transition period for the new house (3 years) is coming to an end, and the fledgling house can expect to start being challenged, possibly even with House Warfare. So not only is Catalina running the family's investigative agency, she must also deal with house politics and potential danger. This is a lot to handle for a young maturing woman, particularly one who has kept her rare Siren powers hidden for most of her life. So to say her life is stressful is an understatement. I am very intrigued by Catalina's powers, and I love seeing her practice and flex her wings to see what she can really do when necessary. After becoming very wrapped up in Nevada's character and life, I was a bit worried about the shift to a new heroine. However, I quickly became invested in Catalina's character. I liked her humility and vulnerability. She has matured very quickly and is extremely self-sacrificing for her family. All served to get me emotionally invested in this story and the series progression.

While the series is centered around our heroine in this first book, we do get an introduction to our  potential future hero, Alessandro Sagredo... an Italian playboy and Prime. Not to mention, he was the subject of Catalina's adolescent crush! Alessandro is quite the intriguing character. While his Instagram paints him in one light, we quickly see that things may not be as they seem. Alessandro has some interesting powers of his own, and he keep showing up in the middle of Catalina's very dangerous investigation. I loved his playful and flirty behavior, and when combined with his dangerous bad boy demeanor, he had me wrapped around his little finger. I can't wait to see what happens with these two in the future.

Speaking of Catalina's dangerous investigation, we see her assisting Runa Etterson, who we first met in Diamond Fire. I also liked Runa's magical abilities dealing with poisons, and I hope she continues to play a big part of this series going forward. I think an alliance between House Baylor and House Etterson would benefit both families.

As always, the Andrews write dynamic action-packed stories that hook you from the beginning. Sapphire Flames is no different. I highly encourage you to give this series a shot if you have not already. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher.


Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment