Monday, December 3, 2018

ARC Review: Outcast by Lexi Blake

Series:Thieves #9 / Hunter #4
Pub. Date:Dec. 4, 2018
Publisher:DLZ Entertainment
Length:325 pgs
Source:InkslingrPR


I absolutely love the Thieves/Hunters world, and these are some of my very favorite urban fantasy books. Unfortunately I made the mistake of starting this book late at night, so I was up until 2am finishing it. Now my brain is too tired to write a coherent review!

Lexi did a good job at giving us a recap of who are characters are, and what happened in the previous book. I love when authors do that, as my memory isn't what it used to be, and I don't always have time to go back and do a series re-read before each new book comes out. 

So, Kelsey, our Nex Apparatus, and her main men, Gray and Trent, are still dealing with the fallout from the death of the villainous demon (and Gray's brother), Nemcox. Kelsey is willing to pull out all the stops to unite her men, bring Trent home from exile, and save Gray from his demon descent contract. Including take a job to help Gray's father and hell lord, Lord Sloane. So the team tramps off to Wisconsin in search of a rabid wolf in the territory of a crazy werewolf cult. 

I enjoyed having the entire team working together. My favorites in this installment were Eddie and Lee. I like the relationship that is growing between Lee and Kelsey... it's both sweet and shows a softer side to our natural born killer. While Lee is still only a kid, his character is so interesting. Knowing what we know about his soul, I am super excited to see how his story develops as he grows. Eddie is a demonic caretaker, who was so cute that you just wanted to pick him up and tweak his little horns. 

While Gray and Trent were sniping most of the time, each continues to complement Kelsey's dual nature and meet all her emotional (and definitely physical) needs. Even when they aren't on good terms, this trio steams up your kindle screen. There are exciting things in store for this menage in the future.

So I thought the beginning of the story was a little slow... but man once that action hit (at about 1am while I was reading), I was hooked and couldn't stop turning the page. The buildup and conflict resolution was excellent. And the segway into the next book - stellar! I can't wait for the next release!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from InkslingrPR.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment