Monday, October 29, 2018

ARC Review: Sin and Ink by Naima Simone

Series:     Sweetest Taboo #1
Pub. Date:Oct 15, 2018
Publisher:Entangled
Length:240 pgs
Source:NetGalley

I was so excited about this new series by Naima Simone that I got super grumpy when outside obligations started interrupting my reading time. Seriously, I need to start marking off a couple hours of DO NOT DISTURB reading time on my calendar every other day. Especially for a hero this supercalafragilisticexpialadopeshit.

So... Knox. Hrm. What can I say (without drooling)? He is a former MMA fighter who walked away when his younger brother died in the ring. He is in love with said younger brother's widow. He tortures himself with guilt and blame, and has some help with that aspect from his mother. He's also a little kinky and steamy as all get out. So all in all, he is my favorite type of hero. A huge tough guy alpha male with a touch of vulnerability and lots of other assets. Knox was the focal point of the story, and he held ALL of my attention.

There was a heroine, and she was pretty good, but I was a little to starstruck by our MMA star to pay Eden much attention. As the younger brother's widow, Eden has vulnerability written all over her. She hasn't really stood on her own two feet in a long time, but she's thinking she needs some independence. I was glad to see her make that decision and carry through with it, as the dynamic she was in didn't seem to be very healthy.

Once Eden starts asserting her independence, we start to see things change between her and Knox. There is an undeniable chemistry between the two of them, even if Eden is still too wracked in grief at times to see it. And Knox is so busy beating himself up over his feelings, that he is just as much an impediment to things moving forward as she was. But things explode, as they do. (Still waiting for MY things to explode like this... just sayin.) The situation gets hot and heavy between Knox and Eden, in more ways than one. They definitely steamed up my kindle screen... but there are heavy consequences to their actions. They have to consider the taboo nature of the relationship, which gave an interesting dynamic to the story. So this one is definitely not considered instalove, even though there was some crazy lust happening from the beginning from both parties. I thought it was laid out well... and I enjoyed the edge that the tattoo/MMA aspects gave to our characters and story.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Entangled.


Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment