Tuesday, October 2, 2018

ARC Review: Kill the Queen by Jennifer Estep

Series:     Crown of Shards #1
Pub. Date:Oct. 2, 2018
Publisher:Harper Voyager
Length:480 pgs
Source:Author/Publisher


Crown of Shards is the first installment of a dynamic new series by Jennifer Estep that I couldn't wait to get my grabby hands on... and let me tell you, this story did not disappoint! I can't wait for the next book to come out, but we will have to wait until 2019. 

Lady Everleigh Winter Blair is a royal orphan whose parents were murdered when she was a child. Everleigh was passed around until she came to the royal court in Bellona, where growing up with was a trial and Evie was somewhat invisible. But when an assassination plot comes to fruition inside the Bellona court, Evie knows she must hide or forfeit her life. So we see her joining a gladiator troupe with ties to the former queen, and becoming a selfless leader to inspire others.

I really enjoyed watching Evie come into her own. While I couldn't call this a coming-of-age story, it was a similar feel in that we watch Evie come into her power, live up to her potential, and step out of the shadows for the first time in her life. She was a heroine that was motivated, driven, and that utilized her well of deep cold rage to be the ultimate survivor. I can't wait to see how much more she can do as the series progresses.

Evie was joined by a great cast of secondary characters that each added a unique element to the story. The gladiator troupe that bonds together in camaraderie and skill was wonderful. I loved Selinda, Paloma, Cho and Sullivan. But Sullivan was the real standout of the group for me, and I really hope we see lots more of him going forward. He has all the broody vulnerable aspects to make a great hero, and of course is powerful and can kick ass in his own right. 

The political intrigue and action in the story kept me riveted, and I was able to finish this book in one sitting during my flight. I actually finished it about a half hour before we landed and I was so sad to be done! There is a little sneak peak into the next book, Protect the Prince, at the end and now I'm impatient to get my hands on it. Jennifer Estep's writing is always great, but this is something new and exciting, and I'm happy that she decided to start a new series.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the author/publisher.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment