Wednesday, April 19, 2017

ARC Review: The Wedding GIft by Gemma Brocato

Pub. Date:April 18, 2017
Publisher:Lucky Red Press
Length:2712 pages
Source:Author

I'm bringing you a fabulous value with this Indie Wednesday spotlight... this anthology has over 2,500 pages of wedded bliss for only 99 pennies! I will be packing this compilation around on my kindle for a while to pull out in the waiting room at the doctor's office, auto shop, etc. For now, I'm reviewing one of the stories for one of the Kickass Chicks.

Wedding Gift

by Gemma Brocato

Wedding Gift provides a short look into the life of a tortured hero recently home from deployment and his supportive fiancee in the weeks leading up to their wedding. 

As the sole survivor of a bombing and building collapse, Gabe has returned home with a severe case of survivor's guilt and PTSD. Gemma did a good job detailing the symptoms of Gabe's PTSD and it created a good emotional connection with his character. My heart went out to him for everything he was going through. 

Emma, who loves Gabe unconditionally, was desperate to help him cope and start to heal. When she introduces therapy dog, Sigmund, I was a goner. I enjoyed the relationship building between Gabe and Sigmund, and seeing Gabe face his fears was moving. 

This is a short story that may bring a tear to your eye... and my favorite aspect by far was Sigmund. I am impressed that Gemma packed so much emotion into a small package. The characters were mature and created a picture of how a supportive relationship should work.

I am voluntarily reviewing an advanced copy of this story that I received from the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment