Thursday, July 25, 2019

ARC Review: Fire & Earth by A.D. Starrling

Series:Legion #2
Pub. Date:July 25, 2019
Publisher:Self-Pub
Length:280 pgs
Source:Author

I've been a huge fan of A.D. Starrling and her brainy books for a while now, so I'm always happy when a new one lands in my inbox. The Legion series is technically a spinoff of the Seventeen series (one of my favorites), but I don't think its absolutely necessary to start with Seventeen. Honestly, I can't exactly remember how it spins off, but I know I realized it in the first book... my brain is just getting too old to remember details in between book releases. I obviously need to take and keep better notes! You will need to read this series in order, however, as there is a continuing story arc that needs to be followed closely.

So in Blood & Bones, we met Artemus Steele and began assembling a team of divine w arriors. Our kickass team includes warriors, beasts and super soldiers, all with interesting powers, weapons and capabilities. The team discovers and goes to battle against a group of big bads, known as Ba'al. And throughout the story, we begin to interpret the biblical mythology that Starrling will use to guide the series.

In Fire & Earth, we see the team heading from their home base of Chicago to Los Angeles, which seems to have become a hot bed of demon activity. It's here that we meet a new group of interesting people - the Chinese mob! I really liked Haruki Akihito, Ogawa, and some of the other shady underworld characters that were introduced. I'm sure you can guess that Haruki will have some future involvement with our team, but I won't tell you exactly how as finding out is half the fun. But I found Haruki to be uber interesting and can't wait to see how he integrates in the future.

I would say that the plot theme is fairly similar to Blood & Bones in that we have a similar activity occurring, just different players in a different location. I was used to the differing POVs at this juncture, so I didn't find it so jarring or hard to follow. And I really do like all of our team and characters, so I enjoy getting peaks into each head individually. I also find the mythology to be cool and complicated - which is classic A.D. Starrling. She does her research and she does it well, and she is great at world building and character dynamics. 

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the author.  


Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment