Monday, July 15, 2019

ARC Review: The Breakdown by B.A. Paris

Pub. Date:July 18, 2017
Publisher:St. Martin's Press
Length:337 pgs
Source:Publisher

I have been a fan of B.A. Paris from the outset, with her debut novel Behind Closed Doors. If you enjoy psychological thrillers that really turn your head upside down, I highly recommend this author. I'm only sorry that it's taking me so long to read her subsequent works, and that this one sat on my shelf long enough to constitute a blogger shame book. So I apologize to both the author and the publisher here for getting so far behind!


What we have here with The Breakdown is a woman's spiral into madness and seeming-dementia. After she sees a woman broken down during a storm and fails to stop and render aid, then later finds out the same woman, an acquaintance of hers, was murdered, Cass starts a downward spiral into paranoia, guilt, fear, forgetfulness and confusion. It was sad to watch the downard descent of this once-vibrant woman, and the author takes you along the maddening ride right along with our protagonist.

But we are never quite sure if all of the madness is happening in Cass' head, or if she really is being stalked by a murderer. While I had an inkling of the "true" storyline, it didn't detract from the events that were happening on the page. Once I started reading, I was riveted and couldn't put the book down. And when all was revealed, I felt the same sense of treachery and my mind was blown just the same as if I had been Cass, barely a step away from being committed. I loved it... so that probably means that something is seriously wrong with me. LOL

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment