Thursday, March 7, 2019

ARC Review: Diary of a Bad Boy by Meghan Quinn

Pub. Date:March 5, 2019
Publisher:Self-Pub
Length:371 pgs
Source:InkslingrPR

I am a fan of Meghan Quinn's romantic comedies, and I haven't experienced one in a while, so I thought I would give this new contemporary romance a shot. I mean... bad boys and books from their POV seem right up my alley. So while this one wasn't a rom com, it still kept me entertained and had a drool-worthy hero to get my imagination going.

Roark McCool is a self-made man. A successful sports agent, earning millions of dollars for himself and his client at the drop of a hat. It seems that Roark has a natural affinity for the agent business, becoming successful with what seems to be little effort on his part. But his personal life is the polar opposite - its a complete and total mess. This is where we see Roark's vulnerability come into play. And you know me, I'm a sucker for a bad boy or alpha male with some vulnerability. Roark tries to cover it up by drinking too much, screwing too much, and fighting too much... but its easy to see that he stays in a state of oblivion to dampen his feelings of inadequacy. I thought Roark was a good hero. I liked that the story was more from his POV so that we experienced his thought process and insecurities as the story progressed. 

Sutton Green is a sweet southern belle, a Texas good girl somewhat out of place in fast-paced New York. Given her status as the daughter of a famous football star, it was nice to see that Sutton was able to maintain her good girl demeanor and down-to-earth attitude. She was the counterpoint to Roark's bad boy - and I really liked this pairing. For every aspect that was "bad boy" in Roark, there was an equal yet opposing "good girl" aspect in Sutton. And having an attraction to the bad boys myself (often to my detriment), I definitely understood Sutton's attraction to Roark. Plus, the chemistry between the two was there from the beginning, even when Roark was being a pain in the ass.

This was not an instalove relationship, but I don't feel like the love-hate relationship was dragged out too far. There was definitely attraction and chemistry there from the start, albeit reluctant on both parts. So I enjoyed the banter between the two, and definitely liked their relationship building. I will say there were a few areas where I felt I started to lose the story... but I kept coming back around before too long. 

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from InkSlingrPR. I do feel like this book set up at least one future story, for Roark's friend (Roth), so I hope we see that coming soon.

Purchase Links



No comments:

Post a Comment