Wednesday, September 5, 2018

ARC Review: The Governess Game by Tessa Dare

Series:Girl Meets Duke #2
Pub. Date:Aug. 28, 2018
Publisher:Avon
Length:373 pgs
Source:Publisher


The Governess Game is the second book in the Girl Meets Duke series by Tessa Dare. While it's the second in the series, I think it worked fine as a standalone, as I haven't yet read the first book. I think there is a little character crossover, and the characters are quite intriguing, so I will definitely be going back to read the first book, perhaps in audio.

Our heroine is Alexandra, a half-American, half-Spanish working class girl who was raised on the deck of a ship in the regency era. While she may be a working girl, Alex is a romantic at heart, and she cares for those around her with a nearly unflinching resolve. So after dreaming of her Bookstore Rake for months on end, it's kismet when she ends up as an accidental governess in her home. I loved the way that Alexandra cared for Daisy and Rosamund, and even more so the way she cared for our hero despite himself. She was determined to see the best in people, and make them live up to the ideals and potential she saw from her perspective. I also liked that her class status was not overly harped upon, as the difference in status seemed to fall away when our couple was together.

Our hero, Chase, is the duke's heir with a bad reputation. He's a ladies man with a silver tongue, and he seems quite proud of the persona he has created. But that outward appearance, as fabulous and fun as it was, really hid a soft and vulnerable inside. I really like a fun and flirty hero, so I had a good time with Chase. But I also loved the touch of vulnerability, even though it caused him difficulties with all the relationships in his life. His fun side really stole the show of the story, and I totally wanted to visit his Cave of Carnality, Licentious Lair, and all the other fun names they came up with. 

The relationship between these two was fun, but not frivolous. There was a lot of feeling behind the flirtation, but it didn't bog us down with emotion. The story was also light-hearted and the pacing was great. I managed to get this one read in just a few hours today. But that seems typical of most Tessa Dare stories that I've read... they are always good for a few hours of fun diversion.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Avon.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment