Wednesday, September 19, 2018

ARC Review: The Forbidden Door by Dean Koontz

Series:     Jane Hawk #4
Pub. Date:Sept. 11, 2018
Publisher:Random House
Length:480 pgs
Source:NetGalley

The Forbidden Door is the fourth installment of the exciting and suspense-filled Jane Hawk series. I thought this was going to be the last book, but was uber happy to discover that there will be at least one more! The writing in this series is classic Dean Koontz - great action, suspense, a little sci-fi, and a corrupt government organization to rail against.

Note: You need to read this series in order as it's a continuing story line and you will need all the background from the earlier books. So this review may have spoilers for the earlier books.

You may recall from the last installment that the couple who was hiding Jane's son had to fly the coop and were hiding out in the desert in Borrego Valley. Unfortunately, they were killed while grocery shopping, and Jane's son had to hide out in an underground bunker with an eccentric, but gentle, giant of a billionaire. Now Jane is racing the clock to get to her son before the Arcadians find him. She enlists help from some friends she has made along the way, and it was nice to see those characters re-appear.

The suspense and anticipation in this book was excellent. I didn't want to put it down once I started reading. I was amazed that Jane is still managing to stay a step ahead of many of these evil Arcadians. I also like that we don't just get Jane's viewpoint, but we also follow the bad guys and get peeks into their brains and thought processes. Some of the baddies featured in this installment were eerily philosophical, which gave the book an interesting flavor. I won't say that I always understood their inner monologues, but it did a good job of freaking me out!

If you are a suspense and thriller fan, I highly recommend the Jane Hawk series. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment