Monday, March 19, 2018

ARC Review: Bring the Heat by G.A. Aiken

Series:     Dragon Kin #9
Pub. Date:Aug. 29, 2017
Publisher:Kensington/Zebra
Length:416 pgs
Source:NetGalley

This is another book from my blogger shame pile... another one that got caught up in my moving transition between New Orleans and Tucson. But I'm kinda glad that I waited on it now because it really helped lighten my mood this week while I've been trying to read and not die of the plague (thanks to all those germ harbingers of doom that you pick up on an airplane). 

It seems like its been a long time since I've read a Dragon Kin book. I had no problem remembering our heroine, Branwen the Awful, but I couldn't seem to place our hero, Aidan the Divine. That didn't really matter in the long run as Aidan is the typical egotistical dragon, he thinks he's the GOAT (greatest of all time) and its up to our heroine to bring him back down to earth. I like it when the pretty boy and/or intelligent dragons have been paired with the Cadwaladr females, who are big tough fighting machines. Branwen definitely takes after her mother, Ghleanna, and is a renowned warrior known in all the realms. I like the mix of ridiculous and relatable and felt like Branwen hit both of those marks. She and Aiden definitely kept me entertained.

There was less focus on the romance in this installment and more focus on the continuing story arc, i.e. the dragons battling the evil god Chramnesind and his Zealot followers. I do not recommend reading this series out of order as the storyline is advanced with each installment. As with previous stories, we aren't always following our main characters, but will have diversions to follow Annwyl the Bloody, Keita the Viper, Dagmar the Beast, and the abominations, Talan, Talwyn and Unvarr.

The story arc does seem to conclude with this installment, so I hope this is not the end of the series. I really enjoy all the banter and sass in these books, and I absolutely love all the over-the-top dragons. 

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment