Monday, July 3, 2017

ARC Review: Grave Ransom by Kalayna Price

Series:     Alex Craft #5
Pub. Date:July 4, 2017
Publisher:Penguin/Ace Books
Length:380 pages
Source:NetGalley

I'm so glad that Kalayna Price is writing again, because I love the mix of fae and magic that she has created in the urban city of Nekros. In this latest installment, Alex's investigation into a missing person lands her smack in the middle of a criminal conspiracy using necromancy to further their interests. Alex and the soul catchers seem to be the only ones who can see the problem with the dead bodies walking around, so of course it will be up to her to figure things out and hope she doesn't get dead in the process. 

One pesky little problem with this investigation is that Alex has a uninvited and unwanted hanger-on in the format of Briar - the over-aggressive agent of the MIB. Briar never goes anywhere without being heavily armed with magical spells and cloaking, and we get to meet her mysterious partner in this installment. I hope we see more of him in the future because I think he could be quite the interesting character. With Briar tagging along, there isn't much room left for Alex to get help from her usual friends. Falin was around quite a bit, but the rest of the gang only appeared in cameo for the most part.

The kinks haven't gotten quite worked out with Alex's castle and its new location, but it will provide an interesting aspect to future stories. I do hope it brings more of the fae aspect into the story as I love the world building that is necessary for Faery.

I was sad that the romance has continued to back slide, as I felt like Death and Alex were the ultimate star-crossed lovers scenario. I thought by this book, they would begin strengthening their relationship. Alas, it was not to be. 

I am definitely interested to see what is going to play out for our characters in the future. I love how the world and our heroine are evolving, and I think this is a series that could play out into the foreseeable future.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Ace Books. 

Alex Craft

No comments:

Post a Comment