Tuesday, September 3, 2019

ARC Review: How to Love a Duke in Ten Days by Kerrigan Byrne

Series:Devil You Know #1
Pub. Date:Aug. 27, 2019
Publisher:St. Martin's Press
MacMillan Audio
Narrators:Derek Perkins
Length:440 pgs
13 hrs 4 min
Source:NetGalley / Publisher

How to Love a Duke in Ten Days is the first installment of the brand new Devil You Know series by Kerrigan Byrne. I could not wait to get my grabby hands on this new series, particularly with the teaser that these men are "dark, bold and brave." Kerrigan is exceptional at writing these types of heroes, and I couldn't wait to embark on a new adventure after the Victorian Rebels series.

So we first meet our heroine, Lady Alexandra Lane, during a dark tragedy in her life. My heart broke with what she endured, and the aftermath. But I absolutely loved watching her persevere and overcome such a dark time. Even when Alexandra was not fully healed, she pursued her education and became a highly intelligent and well-respected doctor/archaeologist. And despite her fear, she really was brave in the face of unknown adversity (i.e. our hero). I liked that she stepped up to the plate with the duke to solve her own problem, along with that of her friend, Francesca. And the relationship between Alexandra, Celcia and Francesca (a/k/a the Red Rogues) was sublime. It really made me miss my girl posse. These ladies are there for each other through thick and thin, tied together through shared experiences, secrets and tragedy.

Our dark and bold hero is Piers Atheron, the Duke of Redmayne and Terror of Torquil. Redmayne's intense demeanor and his scarred visage inspire quite the tall tale around his estate. Rumored to be a werewolf, its a wonder our heroine didn't turn tail and run. However, there is an undeniable attraction and curiosity between our couple, and Piers is the one man who doesn't terrify Alexandra. I loved the way he catered to her, without being a milksop. He was really considerate of her wants and needs, and he took his job as protector seriously.

While the series teaser had me believing we would be focusing on our hero, I felt like he took a back seat to Alexandra given her traumatic past. The switches between Piers and Alexandra's POV may have been about equal, but her story just stuck out more in mind. I do feel that our couple was well-suited and I enjoyed watching them grow closer together in a very short time. The marriage of convenience is one of my favorite tropes when our couple falls head over heels for one another.

I switched between the audio and print versions of this book, and both were superb. Kerrigan's writing always draws me in immediately, and the narrator did a good job bringing our hero to life. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of the book that I received from the publisher.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment