Wednesday, April 3, 2019

ARC Review: Blood & Bones by A.D. Starrling

Series:     Legion #1
Pub. Date:March 26, 2019
Publisher:Self-Pub
Length:279 pgs
Source:Author


If you know me, you know that I am a huge fan of the Seventeen series, and A.D. Starrling in general. So I was super excited to learn that the Seventeen series was getting a spinoff. Shockingly, I didn't really realize that this was the actual spinoff until I was pretty far into the book. Starrling is introducing a whole host of new characters at once, and I didn't immediately connect anything to the prior series.


One thing this book did have in common with all of Starrling's other books was the nearly non-stop action and plot development. While this book didn't have a clear cut hero, Artemus Steele seems to be taking the lead in the story. Artemus was an interesting cat, and the more we learn about him, the more intriguing I find him. His powers promise to be super cool, and the origins even better. There were also some hints about a potential romantic interest in the future - and you know how I like those.

Artemus teams up with others who, like him, don't seem to be totally human. This was a diverse cast of characters that all add their own special something to the story. Callie and Drake were my particular favorites... Callie for her unique transformations and Drake for his dark vulnerability. I hope one or both of them will take center stage in some of the future books.

I did have a little bit of difficulty with this book, in that we changed POVs quite a bit and it was sometimes jarring to switch from person to person. I also wanted more backstory on all of our characters, and its hard to get that in when you are introducing so many people at once. However, as we get towards the end of the story, lots of fascinating details are introduced and I was captivated. This is where we start learning the mythological themes for the series, and how it may tie in strongly to the Seventeen series. So now I can't wait for the future books.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book that I received from the author.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment