Tuesday, October 3, 2017

ARC Review: Archangel's Viper by Nalini Singh

Series:     Guild Hunter #10
Pub. Date:Sept. 26, 2017
Publisher:Berkley
Length:361 pages
Source:NetGalley

Nalini Singh has never disappointed me, and Archangel's Viper is no exception. I love the diversity and uniqueness of her characters, and I like the continuing story arcs so that we see prior characters and couples in abundance. Every time I read a new book in this series, it makes me want to go back and read the others all over again!

So our heroine in this story is Holly "Sorrow" Chang, who you may remember from the very early books as being one of the survivor's of the insane archangel, Uram. Holly suffered unbearably at Uram's hands and it has taken her some time to start coping with the effects of his magic and torture left on her mind and body. Luckily, Holly has a loving and supportive family, and she has been taken into the fold at the Tower. I really enjoyed the special bond that formed between Dmitri and Holly, and it made me want to go back and read the stories that highlighted Dmitri's relationship with Nassir.

I have been curious about Venom and his viper eyes since very early in this series. I suspected that he would have a tragic backstory with his maker being Neha, but he seems to still hold her in high regard. Venom helped to humanize Neha and soften her visage as the deadly poisonous Archangel that has come to be an enemy of Raphael. I do wish that we would've gotten more Venom's backstory, info about his upbringing and making, but that is because I was greedy for information about him. I had a soft spot for his broody side, the one that

The relationship between Venom and Holly was playfully contentious. There was a lot of fun teasing and snark between the two, while the chemistry built as the story progressed. I liked that Venom didn't treat Holly like a broken flower, and instead helped her to manage her abilities and not be afraid of them. I think it will mean a stronger relationship for them in the long run. I didn't feel like there was a major focus on the relationship in this installment, instead we were trying to uncover a plot to kidnap Holly and learn more about her emerging powers. But I have a feeling that we will see Venom and Holly continue growing together in future books.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Berkley.

Guild Hunter Series


No comments:

Post a Comment