Friday, March 17, 2017

Audiobook Review: Rebel by Eve Langlais

Series:     Space Gypsy #3
Pub. Date:Feb. 14, 2017
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrator:Chandra Skyye
Length:9 hrs 22 min
Source:Hoopla


The Space Gypsy Chronicles continues with this third installment of the series, picking up where Sinner left off, with our protagonists escaping an imploding Lac'uus by the skin of their teeth. Our dynamic trio is now floating in space in a very small life pod just hoping for a rescue by someone who is more interested in money than enslaving or eating them.

I seriously love both Rafe and Mikhail. While their personalities differ slightly, they are both humorously oversexed alien bipods. The banter between the two is great... they outwardly hate one another but secretly have tender familial feelings toward the other. Mikhail was really the more sympathetic character of this installment... he is feeling much more turmoil over his feelings toward Rafe and Emma alike. This drew me into his character and created a stronger connection than the shallow sexpot pit fighter that we met in Sinner

Emma is still the quintessential dumb damsel that always needs to be rescued. If she would only stay put when Rafe tells her to, but she is always running off into needlessly dangerous situations. She even acknowledges that it's not safe for her as a human in a universe of aliens who would rather eat her, but she just can't help being reckless and foolhardy. Normally this would make me hate a heroine, but Emma is just so ridiculously damsel-y that I find it funny.

Rebel sees Rafe and Mikhail reunited with family whom they had been escaping in their space travels. After being introduced to the mother, sisters and uncle, I can definitely understand why they ran to escape their fate. We learned more about the Rhomanii race and history, as well as how some of their alien technology works. I definitely love Eve Langlais' worldbuilding and imagination - she really gives this series a fun Men in Black feel, and goes into great detail on the different types of aliens and technology. It makes me want to go to space!

While I have enjoyed this series and I did like this book - it just didn't hold my attention as well as the previous installments. The narrator did a good job, but my mind was wandering a lot and I found myself having to rewind and relisten a number of times. That was probably more of a personal issue than anything to do with the writing or audio performance. I am excited to see how Langlais wraps this space opera up in the final book, King

Space Gypsy Chronicles


No comments:

Post a Comment