Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Audiobook Review: Obsession in Death by J.D. Robb

Obsession in Death 
by J.D. Robb
Series: In Death/Eve Dallas #40
Pub Date:  Feb. 10, 2015
Publisher:  Brilliance Audio
Length:  13 hrs 27 minutes
Format:  Audiobook
Narrator:  Susan Ericksen
Source:  Purchased
 

My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:

Lieutenant Eve Dallas walks the thin line between love and hate in the latest thriller from #1 New York Times bestseller J. D. Robb....Eve Dallas has solved a lot of high-profile murders for the NYPSD and gotten a lot of media. She - with her billionaire husband - is getting accustomed to being an object of attention, of gossip, of speculation.
But now Eve has become the object of one person's obsession. Someone who finds her extraordinary, and thinks about her every hour of every day. Who believes the two of them have a special relationship. Who would kill for her again and again. An aggressive defense attorney who's sparred with Eve in the courtroom is the first victim, but she isn't the last. The messages left for Eve at the crime scenes chill her and turn her stomach. It doesn't get much more personal than this - and Eve refuses to hand the investigation over to anyone else. With a murderer reading meaning into her every move, handling this case will be a delicate - and dangerous - psychological dance.
And eve knows that underneath the worship and admiration, a terrible threat lies in wait. Because the beautiful lieutenant is not at all grateful for these bloody offerings from her "true and loyal friend." And in time, idols always fall....
After gabbing with my friend Deanna, I got the idea that I should plant a garden this weekend. So I grabbed this audiobook to listen to while I got the farmers tan sunburn of the century, and planted my garden. I have to say, that J.D. Robb and Susan Erickson (narrator) do a fantastic job of keeping my auditory attention while my body has to focus on other tasks. It made the 2 days in the sun and lots of heavy lifting go much faster.

In this book, our killer is obsessed with Eve in every way, and decides she would serve justice the way Even cannot by killing people from Eve's past cases. The problem with this is that I could barely remember the past storylines, so I want to go back and re-read the whole series. Ain't nobody got time for that! I'm sure I will re-read them in the next couple years, but I hope I can control the urge for the moment. Sheesh, 40+ books in this series and still going strong as ever. Anywho, I digress.

The mystery in this book was very good, I had no inkling of who the killer was until she was revealed near the very end. But the mysteries are always good in this series - I keep coming back because I love all the people. And we get a good smattering of everyone in this installment, except for Rio and Mr. Mira. I loved that we got to see (and hear) Bella for short bit. I thought we would get to see her open presents in Festive in Death, but we missed out. The narrator does an excellent job on Bella's voice (and everyone else's voice/accent as well). The smattering of all the characters was probably a lot to get in, and because of that, we get less Roark. This did not make me happy and it's the main reason I knocked off a star from my rating. I love Eve, but I love her more with a healthy dose Irish man candy. Maybe we'll get double Roark in the next installment - wouldn't that be grand?

View all my reviews

In Death / Eve Dallas Series

No comments:

Post a Comment